Baiting is a effective solution for most types of ant infestations. Ants have broad food preferences for their dietary needs.
They may choose to feed on sweet, protein, or greasy foods. We suggest choosing a bait or a combo of baits for all their preferences.
When baiting, pick areas of ant activity so the ants can find the bait and take it back to their colony, killing the whole colony. Sometimes baiting requires patience, it may take a couple of weeks to eliminate the colony.
Ant baits do not work with repellent insecticides. The repellent insecticides kill the foraging- worker ants from returning to the nest with the bait. Use a non-repellent insecticide such as Taurus SC, FUSE, or Dominion 2L to enhance your bait program. These concentrated insecticides may only be used outside.
Which Ant Bait ?
- Sweet based baits: Optigard Ant Bait Gel, Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel, Advion Ant Bait Gel, Maxforce FC, Gelanimo, Intice Thiquid, Intice SmartGel, Maxforce Quantum are baits for sweet based foraging.
- Optigard Ant Bait Gel is the top recommendation for general house hold ants that are on their sweet feeding cycles (Excludes harvester, fire and pharoah ants). For Pharoah ants, choose Advion Ant Gel.
- Maxforce Carpenter Ant Gel is the top choice for carpenter ants on their sweet cycle, although Optigard works very well.
- Proteins based baits: Advance 375 A, Maxforce Ant Bait Stations, Advion Ant Bait Arena, Invict Xpress, Invict Blitz, Maxforce Complete will attract ants foraging for protein substances.
- Advance 375A is the top recommendation for carpenter ants and general household ants.
- If you are dealing with a "mega-colony" ant such as a crazy ant or argentine ant, choose Invict Xpress or Invict Blitz.
- Combination baits (Sweet, Protein and Grease) : Maxforce Complete , InVict AB Insect Paste -fulfills protein, sweet and greasy ranges.(Not recommended for the larger carpenter ants). We have had mixed results with combination baits.
- Fire Ant Baits: Extinquish Plus Fire Ant Bait, Advion Fire Ant Bait , and Maxforce FC Fire Ant Bait are specially designed just for fire ants without attracting birds like Amdro. Bait for fire ants on sunny days, excessive rain will take out the bait.You will want to sprinkle this bait around the mound, instead of directly on top of the mound.
- Extinquish Plus Fire Ant Bait is the recommended bait among the fire ant baits, however it is slow acting. Combine it with Agrisel's Acephate Pro as a spot treatment around troublesome mounds.
- We have combined Extinquish Plus and Acephate in a kit called, Texas 2 Step.
- Ant Baiting Tips